30 August 2013

Thank you India!


I always felt like I’d be here forever. Or maybe it’s just because I feel happy and content here and would like to stay forever.

I could never imagine leaving India. “Someone will have to drag me away, kicking and screaming,” is what I thought.

But all things come to an end. And change is something which has to be accepted.

I feel very fortunate that for the past 6.5 years I have been able to live here continuously.

My husband and I had decided to move here. We weren’t sent over by some multi-national company. Before moving to Bangalore, we were living in London. One day I decided to quit my job. A week later my husband decided to quit his. He didn’t like living in London and wanted to leave. So we started to think of where to move to next… We didn’t want to go back to Belgium and I didn’t give going back to Canada even a thought. There were many opportunities in his field in the US, but moving there was out of the question.

We had been to India several times before, and as connoisseurs of Indian music and dance, it was time to give India a try. It felt right. And it was, because he got two job offers: one in Bombay and one in Bangalore. I was praying for Bangalore, and Bangalore it was.

I was able to continue my study of Indian classical dance in Bangalore. We went to concerts and dance performances, and travelled all over India to attend music and dance festivals. ‘This is what we came to India for,’ we would say, and I think we made the most of it. Working full-time, my husband often did not have the time to travel, but I didn’t hesitate to take off solo.

India gave me the chance to breathe, free my mind and let my creativity manifest itself. I started writing and this blog came into being and I found myself spending a lot of time writing about things I enjoy, mostly the Indian arts and places I’ve visited in India and found that people wanted to read what I wrote and even publish it. India gave me the inspiration to become a writer.

Thank you India!

I feel like I have experienced and seen a lot of India in the past 6.5 years... but I also feel that there’s still so much more to see and experience…

I know I’ll be back, but something tells me it won’t be the same. It won’t be like living here full-time, all year round.

I don’t know when I’ll be back and in the meantime I’m not sure what to do with this blog. Should I continue publishing something every month, at least a few photo essays, to keep my readers coming to my window? Or should I just put this blog on stand-by until the next time I’m in India?

I believe that things happen for a reason and the pain of leaving India is alleviated somewhat by another dream we’ve had which finally came to fruition recently. For years we’ve wanted to renovate an old stone house in a lovely medieval village in beautiful Istria, that magical peninsula in the Adriatic Sea. This house is helping me leave India, and embark on a new adventure. Though I’m awfully sad to leave, I’m ready to try something new.

A new adventure calls for a new blog… Thank you dear readers for looking through my window all these years. Wherever I go I’ll always have a window to look through, so please do visit me in my new home and share with me the view of Istria Outside My Window.

13 comments :

shubha said...

Thank you Isabel for writing an excellent blog from a very neutral point of view.As a Bangalorean, I enjoyed reading what a foreigner thought of my city with all its quirks, cultures and its people.
many people sit on the outside and gorm opinions about a place that is very different from theirs.but I appreciate how well you adjusted and blended with the local community.thats when u enjoy the place.its the people who make the place what it is..good and bad..
visit us sometime.
I think u have brought a nice end to this blog.
looking forward to reading about your new adventures!

Shubha

Anonymous said...

What an amazing blog, I have enjoyed reading it a lot. I'll be following your new one! :)

Donna said...

I married an Indian and lived in Mumbai continuously for almost 7 years. I survived the tough days when I didn't fit in, when I missed my friends, family, and my old life. I survived the "usual" that all foreigners deal with. Shortly after my daughter was born, I knew it was time to leave. I've been away 3 years now but go back at least once a year. I actually cannot wait to go back and visit. I miss my Indian family, Indian food,and all the craziness that makes India what it is. You too will find that but you will find good things in your new life. All the best! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Isabel. Come back soon.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your blog, and I think you finished it off well, with some great farewell posts. Best wishes for the future.

Isabel said...

Thank you all for leaving your comments and for your best wishes!

daniela said...

Namaste Isabel

just recently I found out your blog. It's an amazing one. I specialy love the name of it Ïndia outside my window". It makes me feel India it's so close, as it would be just outside eventhough it's 14092 km away.

So thanks so much for sharing the photos, sounds, music and everyday life of India through your window. I just hope I still have time to read all your old posts. So please, don't close it.

Good luck in your new project!
All the best,
Daniela

Isabel said...

Thanks for visiting Daniela and for your kind words. I'm glad it brings India closer to you! I won't be closing this blog so you have lots of time to look through my window.

Anonymous said...

I have really enjoyed all your blog posts - I used to blog under "Scrumpy". I am so looking forward to your new one! :)

Good luck!

Anna said...

Oh! I haven't visited for a while because your posts were rather infrequent and now I have missed the 'going away' party! Good luck Isabel. I loved reading your blog and will follow you to the new one. I really appreciated you giving some of your backstory -- I often wondered how you'd managed such an interesting life...

Isabel said...

Thank you very much Anna! Yes you're right - posts were infrequent while all these changes were happening but I managed to catch up later. Please do visit my new window!

harini said...

I've loved your blog and totally stumbled on it accidentally one day when I was missing my home country. I'm sad to see your time in India has come to an end, but I look forward to reading your new blog and seeing what your life is like by the Adriatic Sea. Good luck with everything!

Mandy Indonesia said...


Thanks, Buddy. I have also enjoyed your blog and will continue to check in to read your posts.