14 December 2012

The fisherman

During my early morning walk along the beach in Visakhapatnam, I came across this man staring at the sea. It wasn’t a contemplative look, it was a look of concentration and complete attention. He held a net in his hands. He was obviously a fisherman.

I looked out to the sea to see if I could see any fish just beyond the shore. I didn’t see anything except surf and sand. I decided to stick around to watch him in action.

He suddenly dropped the net from his shoulder and looked like he was ready to react at any moment. Did he see a fish? I looked again into the surf and saw nothing at all...

Suddenly he ran into the sea, casting his net in a wide arc. He dragged it towards him. Sure enough, there were two fish caught in his net!

I was amazed the way he was able to fish from the shore with just a net. He must have a very sharp and trained eye to spot fish swimming in the shallow surf.

He removed the fish from the net and put them in the bag he carried on his back. He would sell the fish later in the market for 50 rupees each.

4 comments :

Indian Bazaars said...

Liked these pictures very much...it's amazing how the shades of blue come together!

Isabel said...

Yes, it's that magic blue just before sunrise!

Anonymous said...

Lovely series of the fisherman! As is the shade of blue! :)

Isabel said...

Thanks Lakshmi! Memories of Vizag...