30 June 2010

Monsoon romance

I noticed that Indians rarely talk about the weather… Not like they do in places like London or Brussels where this topic opens every conversation. This is usually a complaint about the rain. Here rain is very common and as a result, rainy weather is considered to be bad weather.

But everything is relative and on the other side of the world things are often reversed. I noticed that Indians only talk about the weather when it’s ‘good’. And here ‘good weather’ means rainy weather. Lately I’ve been hearing: “Pleasant weather we’re having!” on a daily basis. Cloudy skies and intermittent rain is not the idea of good weather I grew up with, but then again, everything is relative. After the four months of excessive heat we had from February to the end of May, I’m definitely not complaining about the cooler temperatures and sporadic showers. It’s nice to put the prickly heat powder away for a while and not rely on the ceiling fan to try to keep cool.

In India, the monsoon seems to be everyone’s favourite season. It’s also considered to be a very ‘romantic’ time. Again, rain is not high up on my list of most romantic things. Actually it doesn’t make the list at all. But judging by all the poems, songs and movie scenes dedicated to it, rain is very sexy in India.

Ask any Indian when’s the best time to travel to a certain place or city and they will inevitably answer: “During the monsoon.” Check any guidebook to India about the best time to visit and you’ll see that the period from June to September is not recommended and even strongly discouraged.

Indeed very few tourists come to India during the monsoon. But I have to agree that this is a great time to travel to India. First of all because they are few tourists. And as a result fewer crowds and more availability on buses and trains and at hotels. Banana pancakes disappear from menus and hotel rates become normal again.

Then there’s the beautiful lush green landscapes. The cool nights and freshness of early morning. The laughter of children playing in the rain. And that marvellous smell of fresh earth afterwards… Ah the romance of it all!

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

ooo isabel!!

you've put me in the mood for love!!

:)ashwini

Anu Nandu said...

Your posts is transporting me to a quiet serene place in Ooty or Kodai right now - with a low fog, dew drops everywhere and a chill light breeze behind me.

Claude Renault said...

A nice article, very true. I have lived in Italy for about 14 years and I must say I have never seen a country like it, where weather becomes an obsession.
They "don't like rain or wind" at all.
And true, I believe my best journey throughout India was during the monsoon.

Scrumps said...

I love the rain. And definitely would love to experience an Indian monsoon season! :)